Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Family and personal

Live Confidently® with Rocket Lawyer. Let us help with estate planning and other topics.

Phyllis T.
Rocket Lawyer member since 2013

Family and personal FAQs

  • How do I start my estate planning?

    The first thing you need to do is to collect a complete list of your assets and debts. Secondly, you'll need to think about how you might want your estate distributed after you die and who might best be the one to manage your estate. Once you have gathered this information, you may choose to contact a lawyer or to start your estate planning on your own. If your estate is not complicated and you don't expect anyone to challenge your Will, you can likely write your Will and other documents yourself using your Rocket Lawyer account.

  • I plan to "age in place," how should I leave my home to my heirs?

    If you want to stay in your home as long as possible, it is important to define how you want your home managed during your last years and after. If you don't, your heirs may end up in court litigating over what is to happen to the property. There may be issues over who they think is owed the inheritance or they may argue over whether it should be sold or kept in the family. It may even surprise you to learn that no one may want the house and would rather sell it as soon as possible. Either way, if you don't take care of it now, someone else will decide for you.

    If you are not sure what you want to do with your home but do know you want to live in it as long as possible, you should contact an estate attorney. Your lawyer can help you figure out the best way to secure the future of your home, which may be by including it in a trust or a Will.

  • Do I have parental rights after my child turns 18?

    When your child turns 18, most of your parental rights expire. You are no longer legally allowed to view their private medical information and you cannot make financial decisions for them. You can't make life-changing choices for them anymore, such as selecting the school they will attend or stop them (or make them) join the military services.

    There may still be times when they need your help though. For example, if they are incapacitated and cannot make medical choices for themselves. After your children turn of age, you may want to schedule a time to sit down with them and help them make the legal documents they need to help them in the event of an emergency.

    Three legal document to consider having your 18-year-old sign

    Healthcare Power of Attorney

    A Medical Power of Attorney (POA) allows your child to assign someone to make medical choices for them should they become incapacitated. This document becomes important if they become injured, suffer a major illness, or if they require a major surgery.

    Living Will

    A Living Will often called an Advance Health Care Directive, is a document that outlines what life-saving or life-prolonging measures they want to be performed in an attempt to keep them alive.

    Power of Attorney

    A Power of Attorney allows your child to appoint someone to manage their finances should they become unable to or simply don't want to.

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Legal guides

  1. Legal Issues at Different Life Stages
    4 min read
  2. How To Prepare for That Trip of a Lifetime
    3 min read
  3. How to Prepare Young Adults For Life's Legal Realities
    3 min read
  4. Your Rights If a Business Changes Its Terms of Service
    3 min read
  5. How to Store Legal Documents and Personal Records
    4 min read
  6. How to Replace Lost Paperwork and Documents
    2 min read
  7. What You Should Consider When Hiring a Lawyer
    3 min read
  8. What to Expect From an On Call Lawyer
    4 min read
  9. How to Get Free Legal Aid in Your State
    4 min read
  10. What Kind of Lawyer Do I Need?
    2 min read
  11. Do I Need a General Practice Attorney?
    3 min read
  12. The Constitution of the United States of America
    43 min read
  13. Is Sports Betting Legal in My State?
    4 min read
  14. When to Update Your Living Will
    1 min read
  15. 3 Essential Documents to Protect Your Family
    1 min read

Looking for something else?